September 15, 2010

Prime Meats



I have a confession to make. I'm in bestie love with the Frankies men. First of all, they own like a bajillion restaurants, and second of all, remember that time they got really high, ate a shit ton of pizza at Roberta's and Motorino and then made meatballs? It's the best thing in the world. Either way, the Frankies men are famous to me and on Labor Day we decided to take a trip to Prime Meats.

Let's start with the staff...they're pretty great! The host was super nice to me when I kept going in there and telling them my friends would be there any second, and then as soon as my friends got there he sat us. Granted, he didn't laugh at my Foursquare joke, but I won't hold that against him. Our waitress was cool, laid back but made sure we were happy. Then when we left everyone said super cheerful goodbyes to us.

PM is pretty damn big, I must say. I'm not sure (because I've never been in there) if part of it spills back over into Frankies Spuntino or not as they're right next door, but there's definitely a lot of space. Decorated with large windows and rustic wood, this is one of the nicest and most homey restaurants I've ever been to.

I'm still not on the "livin' large" side of things, but I decided to get the $5 brunch punch - a delightful combination of BOURBON (WIN!), fruit punch and fresh fruit. It was absolutely delicious. I also ordered coffee, simply because I was exhausted, but I didn't really drink it, because it didn't go well with the brunch punch (and because the soy milk was separating every time I tried to take a sip). They serve Stumptown coffee here, which I'm not the biggest fan of (Crop to Cup is the coffee winner for me).

I ordered the breakfast sandwich on a biscuit with bacon ($9), which is exactly what I ordered at Cafe Pedlar. Why? 1) It's one of the cheapest and heartiest things you can order. 2) It's freakin' delicious. The biscuit is crumbly (which is a slight thumbs down in my book, but that's coming from the South, where "buttermilk biscuit" really just means "butter biscuit"), but the eggs are soft (organic, what up), the cheese is slightly tangy and the bacon is soooooooo good - thick, not too crisp or too soft, just the way I like it. It comes with a side of greens, which I wish you could substitute free of charge for potatoes (actually, you might be able to - why didn't I think to ask that!). I have yet to try the dinner portion, which is mostly German fare, but gotta be honest - one of my best friends is the pastry chef at Blaue Gans, and I'm just not sure you can beat that place. And I'm not just sayin' that because Beth is awesome (and her desserts are out of this world). I really do love ole BG.

BEST PART OF THE DAY? When we went towards the front door, I saw the Frankies themselves standing outside and I got super giddy. If you know a way to make them my besties, message me. - Jennifer




I have this habit of ordering yogurt and granola whenever offered to me during breakfast or lunch. Why I order yogurt and granola at a place called Prime Meats, I don't know. But I did it.

It was good, don't get me wrong, and at $7.50 it's a hefty serving with fruit on top. But as filling as wholesome as it is, it's definitely not the best I've ever had, or even of each component. I have dreams about the greek yogurt at The Breslin (more on that later) which does not have value on it's side, but I'd gladly pay a wad of bills to eat it again. And this leads me to the question at hand-- why don't all nom-worthy brunch establishments serve greek yogurt? Why bother with the regular stuff? I guess not everyone loves it like I do, but after going Greek I can never go back. NEVER.

What was I talking about? Oh, Prime Meats. I love the interior of this place, it feels homey but refined. And as Jennifer said, the staff is sweet. I've been a couple of times, and had a nice relaxing brunch on both occasions. The hashbrowns are tasty, they seem to treat their eggs right (so many places don't), and the bacon is delicious.. but it is Prime Meats-- and I suggest you stick with that theme while ordering. Meat. -Laurel




Address: 465 Court St (between 3rd Pl & 4th Pl)

Website: Prime Meats, Yelp

Payment: Cash, American Express only

Delivery: nope

Open Late: opens at 7am every day, open until 3am fri-sat

Large Group Friendly: yes

Bar/Happy Hour: Full Bar, $5 Brunch Punch is awwwesome

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails