September 5, 2008

Habana Outpost



Habana Outpost is a crazy looking fixture in the heart of Fort Greene, and is extremely popular in the summer. Jennifer and I squeezed our way in one lovely summer night and enjoyed a picnic table outside and some dinner.

The inside is tiled-up and festive, and the outside is the definition of the word festive-- it sports a good amount of picnic table seating and an old painted shell of a truck where the food and drink are served. After standing in line inside for a short while, I ordered a steak quesadilla ($8.25) and a Six Point draft ($2.50). We scored a picnic table outside (it was packed on a weeknight) and dug in. The beer was a deal. The quesadilla was really pretty good, and the steak tasted very smoky, obviously grilled. It was a little pricey, but hey, it was steak.

The atmosphere is a fun one. Habana shows movies outside certain night during the summer, and holds various other events when the weather is right. That's the cool thing about the Outpost location-- it's a gathering place for the community. It also takes a very eco-friendly stance, with lots of recycling, environmental building practices, and you can ride a stationary bike to blend your own smoothie! I'm going to try that one day.

I'd recommend it, especially on a nice night. I could sit there forever. Be aware that other people will have the same great idea as you, though! -Laurel




This place was packed: line going towards the door, people everywhere. When you order (inside) you have to take your order to the cook (outside in a trailer), and then they make it, call your name, and you get your food. Seems easy enough, but when you also get a beer and would like to snag a place to sit, it gets complicated. For some reason, I felt the need to get up about 20 times, and every time I shoved my ass between this couple who were sitting on separate benches but were meeting in the middle. Granted, I have no ass to shove (despite how much disgusting food I shovel into my mouth) but it was still really annoying. Eventually they stood up and moved somewhere else to talk, but by then, I was done with the ass shoving.

Oh yeah, the food. By the time I ate it, it was a little cold, but still delicious. I ordered a veggie burrito. It wasn't huge, but it was definitely filling. It was grilled like a quesadilla, which was different (and welcome). I wouldn't say it's the best thing I've ever eaten, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. What I really loved (as per usual) were the grilled sweet plantains. I can't get enough of those things, and they're better, and sweeter, and plantain-ier...everywhere we go.

Like Laurel, I'm down with their recycling efforts. Pretty righteous. I really dig places who care about the world around them - especially with how much waste restaurants produce per day. If anything, it's a great reason to at least give them a try. I know it's a tad out of most people's way, which I understand, but here's another selling point: there's a lot of really hot people that dine there. Just sayin' - Jennifer

Address: 757 Fulton Street (Fort Greene, Brooklyn)


Payment: Cash Only

Take Out: Yes

Delivery: No

Open Late: 12pm to 12am, closed Tuesday
Large Group Friendly: Yes, but can be packed on weekend nights when the weather is nice

Bar/Happy Hour: Full Bar, Six Point (local) beer is $2.50 all the time

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails