June 23, 2008

El Pollo (with Guest Reviewer Amy)



I must confess that I love black beans. After seeing that all of the dishes on the menu at El Pollo were accompanied by rice and black beans, I couldn’t say no to this cute little place in Park Slope.

While browsing the menu Laurel pointed out the fried plantains, which I had never had before. We decided to order them as an appetizer and they arrived piping hot. They were delicious but not too sweet. It reminded me of something you might order at the State Fair and the three of us didn’t even get the chance to finish them before our food arrived at the table.

I ordered the chicken stew which was more than enough for one person. The chicken was very tender and arrived in a seasoned red sauce that contained potatoes and carrots. It was especially good paired with the rice and beans and I soon found myself feeling very full.

Aside from the food, I also loved the fact that the restaurant kept crayons at the tables for customers to doodle on paper sheets draped over the tablecloths. The three of us entertained not only ourselves but also the waitress while waiting.

The service at El Pollo was excellent and I definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves Peruvian food or is looking to try something new. –Amy


While in search of some dinner in Park Slope, we nearly passed El Pollo by. Luckily we spotted it, and as soon as I read Peruvian food I was sold.

I’ve liked all Peruvian food I’ve ever tried in New York (which, granted, isn't that much), and El Pollo is no exception. The menu consists of roasted chicken, stews, black beans and rice, plantains, and vegetables. David and I split a half roasted chicken (like a rotisserie chicken) with black beans and rice, and split an order of fried sweet plantains with Amy.

The plantains came piping hot and were very tasty, but then fried plantains are a favorite of mine. They were a little oily, but I pretty much burned my mouth stuffing them in, so that obviously didn’t stop me. The chicken was moist and tender, with great flavor from the spice rub. And the black beans and rice were also and could make a meal on their own.

The prices here are very fair ($9 for half a chicken with rice and beans, $3 for a plate of “maduros,” or sweet plantains).. a bargain, even. The half chicken was plenty of food for two people, especially with the plantains, which were plentiful. The service was fast and friendly, and the crayons were a major bonus. Who doesn’t love to doodle? Stop in and grab some delicious chicken and scribble to your heart's content. -Laurel




Address: 291 5th Ave, between 1st and 2nd St (Park Slope)

Website: http://www.yelp.com/biz/el-pollo-brooklyn

Payment: Cash, Credit Cards

Take Out: yes

Delivery: yes, free with $10 minimum

Open Late: ?

Large Group Friendly: when they aren't busy

Bar/Happy Hour: no

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

ps - we went back
and their sweet plantains
are DELICIOUS

Related Posts with Thumbnails